Sunday, March 05, 2006

Ciencia '06

"This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!"




So that's the poster I came up with for the technical fest we're having at college (for the first time) on 22 and 23 March. The mail with the poster specifications said "should be simple and decent", so that's why the poster is... uh, simple and decent. There's higher definition in the original image, which is 6000x4500 pixels. You won't believe what a major pain it was working with such a huge image. As the number of layers increased, Paint Shop Pro took around 20 minutes just to make a save! So I would click save, go have a wash, maybe eat something or bother someone on the phone and then get back hoping it was done. If I decide to do this again next year, I definitely need more RAM... and I need to get comfy with Photoshop.

A big thanks to Karthik — the face and the neurons are all drawings by him. Without that, the poster would have looked mediocre. And for those of you who wanted to know how I got the CVR logo, I took a photo of the course file and then edited it to make the background transparent.

The final printed version has changes that were made without my permission. Now that I don't appreciate. You'll probably see the final version in your college anyway, but for the others I have a picture here (don't expect much, the pic was taken with a cellphone). Don't know what difference it makes re-arranging the text like that... besides now it looks all cluttered at the bottom. And I guess Mr. X couldn't re-create the spacing in the text, so he conveniently used a different font. He also decided to exagerrate the border. Thankfully the poster isn't anything extraordinary or I would have been really pissed.

In other news, I joined AIESEC. Thoroughly enjoyed the 2-day training session we had last week. Karthik updated his blog after ages, so head over there and tell him about how you forgot he was even alive. Oh and my counter crossed the 1000 mark! Yay!

8 comments:

Poornaa Venkatesan said...

You are the poster boy!

Poornaa Venkatesan said...

Heyy!
I was ultimately bored today. So I took that
"which file extension are you" test.
I am .html, LOL.
Funny quizzes.

Karthik Abhiram said...

Great job on the poster Varun!

The CVR logo looks very good for something that was photographed and edited — if one didn't know better one would say it was vector art!

Where is the opening passage from?

Varun Abhiram said...

Poo -- Yeah, nice timepass those quizzes are... you're poo.html :)

Karthik -- Hehe even they were like "How'd you get that logo?!"

I made up that opening passage.

Ok I know you didn't believe that for a second... it's "Remember the Name" from Fort Minor.

Poornaa Venkatesan said...

I saw your poster in my college!!!

Varun Abhiram said...

Hate to ask... but how did it look?

Anonymous said...

simple y magnífico


gud job varun.
it was really 'MIND BLOGGING', hope u got me.it was simple,superb(the above words mean).

Varun Abhiram said...

Yeah yeah I got you... inspite of the typos ;)

Thanks.